Ryan Garcia expelled from boxing by WBC after racist rant

Ryan Garcia
Garcia already serving a one-year ban for a failed drug test (Picture: Golden Boy/Getty Images)

Ryan Garcia has been expelled by the World Boxing Council after a series of racist and Islamophobic comments on social media.

On X’s live streaming Spaces platform, the 25-year-old American made a series of slurs aimed at Black people and Muslims.

Garcia issued an apology of sorts shortly after, claiming his comments were an attempt at ‘trolling’. ‘I was trolling I want all the killing to stop,’ Garcia wrote. “I love everyone sorry if I offended you.’

The WBC have now taken action by expelling Garcia from any activity involving their championship belts or rankings with president Mauricio Sulaiman also revealing the fighter has repeatedly rejected their offers of help with mental health and substance abuse issues.

‘Exercising my authority as president of the WBC, I am hereby expelling Ryan Garcia from any activity with our organisation,’ Sulaiman wrote on X.

‘We reject any form of discrimination. I fear for Ryan well being as he has declined multiple attempts for our help with mental health and substance abuse.’

Garcia’s family have also distanced themselves from Thursday night’s social media activity.

Devin Haney v Ryan Garcia
Garcia’s win over Daney has been changed to a no contest (Picture: Getty Images)

‘Our son has recently made statements that do not align with his, or our family’s, true character or beliefs,’ a statement said. ‘Our family unequivocally does not support any statements he has made regarding race or region – these do not reflect who Ryan truly is and how he was raised.

‘Those who know Ryan can attest to this fact. Ryan has been open about his ongoing struggle with mental health over the years and as a family we are committed to ensuring and encouraging that he receives the necessary help to navigate this very challenging time and address both his immediate and long-term well-being.

‘We appreciate the continued support, prayers and compassion.’

Last month, Garcia was handed a one-year ban from boxing for an anti-doping violation having failed a drug tests the week leading into his fight against Devin Haney.

Garcia, who also missed weight heading into that contest, floored Haney three times en route to securing a decision on the judges’ scorecards. But that decision has since been overturned with the result of the fight declared a no contest.

Garcia’s troubling behaviour has raised concerns throughout the year, with his in-person antics and social media activity troubling fight fans and those within the sport.

Bizarre social media posts, ranging from claims he was kidnapped to wild government conspiracy theories and claiming to have proof of extra-terrestrial life, have baffled fans.

In June, he was also arrested after allegedly causing €15,000 worth of damage at a Beverly Hills hotel.

Following his win over Haney, he insisted his behaviour had all been an act. ‘Come on guys, you really thought I was crazy?’ he said after the fight.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *